After the massive success of last year's re-release of Marvel vs Capcom 2, it only makes good financial sense for the two companies involved with its creation to team up again for a proper model sequel. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is in the works for the Sony PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360. Kombo has the first details and announcement trailer that features fan favorites such as Ryu, Wolverine, Morrigan Aensland, Iron Man, Hulk, and Chris Redfield taking shots at one another. Here are some of the highlights:
- Powered by an advanced version of MT Framework, the engine used in Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2. Capcom wanted to use a developmental engine that their top talent was most comfortable with and was powerful enough to deliver the new and unique graphical direction.
- Capcom's goal is to maximize depth but minimize complexity. Making sure that MvC2 fans are taken care of but also the millions of new Marvel fans and gamers from the past decade are not alienated.
- 3-on-3 Tag Team Fighting: Players build their own perfect team and use Assist Attacks and each character's special moves to create their own unique fighting style.
- Living Comic Book Art Style: See the characters from the Capcom and Marvel universes brought to life in a "moving comic" style, blurring the boundaries between 2D and 3D graphics. This is made possible by the MT Framework and the use of special shaders that capture the Marvel comics style and Capcom flavor.
- At least 100 pieces of new music. Kombo was assured that a digital remix of 'Take you for a ride' was not one of them.
- Each character is being built from the ground up. The character balance is extremely important. Unlike MvC2, characters are not thrown in for the sake of character count. Capcom would love to have countless playable characters, but because of the strong attention to detail for each character, they're aiming for 30+ playable.
Suddenly next week's release of Super Street Fighter IV doesn't seem so important anymore. But seriously, this game has plenty of interest and expectations behind it. No pressure, Capcom and Marvel. My previous picks for new characters still stands, as I still want to see characters such as Nathan Spencer, Jennifer Walters, and Stephen Colbert as part of the action. Kombo staffers have high hopes for this game, too. In the meantime, let's all speculate on which characters are hiding in the silhouette in the concept artwork. I think I can make out Chun-Li, Albert Wesker, Thanos, Felicia, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, and Captain America. What say you?