I've been clamoring for an honest to goodness modern Back to the Future game for ages, but it looks like this mod for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City may be as close as we're going to get to such a thing. That's right; a modding team somewhere out there is actually creating a series of Hill Valley levels for Vice City along with hoverboard rides and a DeLorean that can travel through time. This is heavy!
Back to the Future: Hill Valley is a full conversion Mod, being made for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. BTTF: Hill Valley will allow the player to re-experience all the great moments from the films. It’s the modders goal to not stray too far from the original story line; while still adding in new content to the game that enhances the game experience. You can relive one of the best movies of all time, in the outstanding game play of the Sandbox hit, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. This mod is sure to bring countless hours of fun to anybody who enjoyed the movies.
Some of the Features that will be in BTTF: Hill Valley are:
- 5 different eras of Hill Valley: 1885, 1955, 1985, Alternative 1985, and 2015.
- Played in Real Time
- New Vehicles to correspond to the times.
- New Pedestrians to correspond to the times
- Instant and Realistic Speed Based Time Travel
- New Effects and Graphics
- Flying Hover mode for the Cars and Trains of the future.
- Refueling feature for the plutonium chamber/Mr. Fusion unit on the Deloreans
- Gas Stations
- Custom Radio Stations
- Reenactments of scenes, from the films.
- Remote Controlled Deloreans
- Build-a-time-machine garage
- Working calendar
If this turns out to be as promising as it seems I know I'd pick up Vice City just to give it a whirl. Check out the end of the above-linked hoverboard video to see the DeLorean flying over the city as it accelerates to 88mph before vanishing into time (leaving only the familiar twin fire trails behind). Who could possibly not want this? Other than the legal team at Universal Studios, of course.