Have you ever played a Ratchet and Clank game and thought that you could create an awesome weapon worthy of the Gadgetron name? Here's your chance to prove it as developer Insomniac Games is holding a contest for fans of the franchise to design a new weapon to be included in the recently announced Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time. The official Sony PlayStation blog has the details.
We also know many people have asked for some advice, so the Weapons team here at Insomniac came up with a few additional guidelines to help you on the path to winning the contest.
- Don’t simply take the Morph Ray and have it turn enemies into a new funny animal like green bunnies.
- Be practical with the visual effects - a gun that fills the
screen with a thousand flaming rockets will be hard to implement.
- We are looking for innovation, humor, and fun factor - not just total destruction.
- Make sure you take a look at previous Ratchet games so you don’t copy an existing weapon.
- Keep it clean and avoid overly gruesome effects - this game is likely to be rated E for Everyone.
- Try to stick to a one or two-handed gun or grenade weapon form (though if you have something really cool in mind, share it!)
And what's the prize for your creative hard work, you may ask?
The winner of the top voted weapon concept will have his/her weapon included in Ratchet and Clank® Future: A Crack In Time, be flown to and housed with a guest to Comic-con 2009, and presented a full-size replica of their weapon, signed contest poster by the development team at Insomniac Games, a $200 Sony Style gift card, and sent a copy of the Ratchet and Clank® Future: A Crack In Time video game when available this Holiday 2009.
It's great to see developers embracing the fan community with contests like this one, and this sort of interaction really should be encouraged. Hurry though, as Insomniac is only interacting with fans about this until April 10, 2009.