I've been reminding you of beloved forgotten game franchises for nearly four years now, so it seems like a good time to pause and see just which publishers have taken my advice and revived some classic titles from past generations.
- Bionic Commando - Not only is there a new 3D incarnation of the series on the way, but the original 2D game is getting a modern makeover.
- Earthbound - A sequel was finally released, but only in Japan. At least we get some new Earthbound-related material in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Ghostbusters - The dream is alive as a new adventure featuring most of the original cast is in the works for all modern consoles.
- Kid Icarus - Rumors persist that heroic angel Pit will appear in a new adventure, but for now it's great to see him return for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins - New Super Mario Bros. finally brought Mario back to his 2D roots.
- Adventure Island - Despite some of his original adventures coming to the Virtual Console and a Japan-only port, island hopper Master Higgins is still waiting for his grand comeback.
- Ice Climber - Nana and Popo turn up again in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, plus the original Ice Climber game has appeared on the Virtual Console.
- Kirby's Dream Course - Again, another Virtual Console release.
- Vectorman - A planned modern revival for the PS2 canned, Vectorman has gone on to appear on the Virtual Console and the Sonic Gems Collection & Sega Genesis Collection compilations.
- Adventures of Batman and Robin
- Back to the Future
- Blast Corps
- Doshin the Giant
- F-Zero X Expansion Kit
- Mario is Missing
- Mega Man Mania
- Special Tee Shot
- Stunt Race FX
I'm happy to see some of these games return to glory, but there's still so much more to be done. I take inspiration from the fact that if a really long dead series like Kid Icarus can pop up in one of the most eagerly anticipated games of the year, then truly anything is possible when it comes to other dusty characters and franchises. I firmly believe that Plok still has a place in this world.